Friday, March 16, 2012

An Introduction

On Tuesday, I did something I didn't think I would ever do: I committed to a political party.  I felt like it was time to try to get involved in the political process--particularly given the rapid political polarization in Utah--and the best way I could think to do that was to join the best-organized party still open to independents in Utah.  So I went to the Democratic Party Caucus, signed on the dotted line, and took the chance.

I value my political independence, as I'm sure you do, too.  I'm not a Utah Democrat because I fall in line with every stereotypical Democratic position--I'm a Utah Democrat because I'm welcome here, with all of my idiosyncratic political positions.  I'm told that once upon a time, before I was a glimmer in my parents' eyes, it wasn't unusual for a Democrat to be conservative on some issues or a Republican to be liberal on others.  I find that hard to believe, given what I've known all my (young) life, but the memory of a less ideological time inspires in me a little hope that there may be a way out of this political gridlock we've worked ourselves into, both here in Utah and in the country at large.

In a democracy, either you need flexibility among a party's members, or you need to have more than two parties.  I feel like the Utah Democratic party is working hard to pursue the former ideal, and I'm happy to lend my voice to a conversation about how to restore the innovative spirit to Utah and American politics.  I hope you'll come along, and I hope you'll join the conversation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment