Saturday, March 17, 2012

A call for more voices

I envision this as more of a conversation-starter blog than as something about just me.  While I'm happy to offer my free opinions (and you get what you pay for), I hope to gather more than just my thoughts about what Bountiful--and Utah--needs in candidates this election year.  So I want to hear from you, particularly if you consider yourself independent.

Did you attend the Democratic Caucuses or the Republican Caucuses?  If so, what made you want to come out?  If not, what would be the most important thing that you'd like candidates to be serious about this campaign season?  Do you call yourself a Bountiful Democrat (or a Utah Democrat)--and why?  If you're not interested in Democratic candidates, why not?

This should go without saying, but let's get it out there at the start: while we shouldn't all agree--what progress would we make then?--we should always remember to be civil.  We're all Americans first, and we should respect each other in our political discourse, especially when we radically disagree.  I reserve the right to act as peaceable moderator on this blog, but I'm happy to post all sorts of views that disagree with my own.  The best discussions happen along the lines of passionate friction, and the best solutions come when we all feel like our voices have been heard.  If we don't learn to respectfully disagree, I'm afraid we won't have a republic for much longer.  

If you're interested in writing a little blurb--it could be as short as a tweet or a whole blog essay--submit it to bountifuldemocrat@gmail.com or reply in the comments below.  I hope to hear from you soon!

5 comments:

  1. i wanted to caucus this year, but oops, someone gave me free 2nd row tickets to the jazz game so i went there instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask all major entertainment events to not give out free tickets. Check. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to caucus for the first time this year and officially became a Republican. When they read what the party stands for in Utah, I was really pleased to find that I agreed with almost all of it. I'm opposed to voting for a Democrat, but in recent years I have found that the candidates I agree with most happen to be Republican, so I decided to take the plunge so I could have a little more influence.

    I completely agree that it's unwise to vote for a candidate just because of their party affiliation. I'm trying to make more of an effort to go to "meet the candidate" type events because it's so much easier to get a sense of the person than just reading what someone else writes about them. I think a lot of people are starting to get involved, which I think is wonderful. Too long politics have been run by politicians.;) I really hope more of the masses make their voices heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say I'm NOT opposed to voting for a Democrat.

      Delete
  4. Mary--Good to hear from you! I'm excited to see so many Republicans like you getting involved. I expect that your involvement will help give us multiple viable options for candidates in November, and I have to cheer your intent to get a little more influence.

    Can I use your quote ("Too long politics have been run by politicians!")? :D

    ReplyDelete